Week of December 10, 2017
FLORENCE AVENUE INTERCHANGE PROJECT
The week of Dec. 10, crews will continue nightly full freeway closures on northbound and southbound I-5 between Norwalk Boulevard and I-605, to complete one final night bridge demolition activity and to remove falsework from the newly opened south half of the Florence Avenue bridge.
On Monday night, Dec. 11, crews will complete the last night of construction activity to demolish the north half of the Florence Avenue bridge at I-5. Please be advised this work may be loud and disruptive due to construction equipment, concrete demolition, back-up alarms and other related activities.
The following closures are plannted nightly Sunday, Dec. 10 through Thursday, Dec. 14:
- Northbound I-5 closed between Norwalk Boulevard and I-605, between 11:59 p.m. and 5 a.m. DETOUR: Exit northbound I-5 at Norwalk Boulevard off-ramp, west on Norwalk Boulevard / San Antonio Drive, west on Firestone Boulevard to the northbound I-605 on-ramp. Transition from northbound I-605 back onto I-5.
- Southbound I-5 closed between I-605 and Norwalk Boulevard, between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. DETOUR: Southbound I-5 traffic will be directed onto southbound I-605, exit at Firestone Boulevard, east on Firestone Boulevard, east on Imperial Highway, south on southbound Frontage Road to the southbound I-5 on-ramp.
- Northbound I-605 Connector to Southbound I-5 closed between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. DETOUR: Motorists will exit northbound I-605 at Imperial Highway off-ramp, east on Imperial Highway, south on SB Frontage Road to access the southbound I-5 on-ramp.
- Southbound I-605 Connector to Southbound I-5 closed between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. DETOUR: Motorists will continue on southbound I-605, exit Firestone Boulevard off-ramp, east on Firestone Boulevard, east on Imperial Highway, south on SB Frontage Road to access southbound I-5 on-ramp.
Finally, Florence Avenue will be closed to all traffic in both directions (between Studebaker Road and Orr and Day Road), from 8 p.m. Monday, Dec. 11 to 5 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 12. Click here to view a map of recommended alternate routes available while Florence Avenue is closed at night.
Crews have resumed pile driving activity for the retaining wall adjacent to the northbound I-5 Florence Avenue on-ramp. Please be advised this work may be loud and disruptive due to equipment noise, vibration and pounding related to pile driving activity, and construction lighting (if equipment needs to be moved at nighttime). Pile driving activity will be ongoing for approximately twelve weeks and will take place weekdays between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Traffic has shifted onto the newly constructed south half of the Florence Avenue bridge and the new lane configuration includes two lanes for westbound traffic and one lane for eastbound traffic. In addition to the new lane configuration, crews have begun reconstructing the intersection of Orr and Day Road at Florence Avenue, to accommodate the new higher elevation of the Florence Avenue bridge. Please note, the intersection of Orr and Day Road, from Longworth Avenue to Florence Avenue, has been closed for approximately two months (weather permitting), as of Tuesday, Nov. 28. While the intersection is closed, motorists will be directed to use an alternate route, as shown on the map below.
There is a temporary pedestrian route in place along the south side of Florence Avenue. Pedestrians can follow the route outlined in green on the map below. To explore the pedestrian route, click on the map below.
IMPERIAL HIGHWAY AND PIONEER BOULEVARD PROJECT
On Tuesday, Dec. 12, crews will be performing nighttime concrete operations between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. and will close southbound Pioneer Boulevard to traffic between Crewe Street and Imperial Highway.
Closure area in shown in red on the map below; detour routes are highlighted in green.
As crews work on Imperial Highway, Norwalk Boulevard and Pioneer Boulevard bridges at I-5, one lane in each direction may be closed on each street (at I-5) during the daytime, between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
ROSECRANS AVENUE & BLOOMFIELD AVENUE BRIDGE PROJECT
Over the next few weeks, crews may take intermittent day lane closures on Rosecrans Avenue at Mondays through Fridays between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. At least one lane will remain open in each direction on Rosecrans Avenue at all times. These lane closures are needed to complete installation of overhead signs and to pour curb and gutter.
The following closures are planned for the next two weeks, Mondays through Fridays:
- Southbound I-5 from Norwalk Blvd. to Carmenita Road - up to two lanes closed (11 p.m. to 5 a.m.). DETOUR: At least one lane will remain open at all times.
- Rosecrans Avenue on- and off-ramp from southbound I-5 may be closed as needed (10 p.m. to 5 a.m.) DETOUR: Exit and/or get on southbound I-5 at Carmenita Rd.
This information can also be found on the project Google map.
CARMENITA ROAD INTERCHANGE PROJECT
All work has been completed on the Carmenita Road Interchange project.
VALLEY VIEW AVENUE INTERCHANGE PROJECT
On Thursday, Dec. 14 from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., crews will close the northbound lane on Valley View Avenue at North Firestone Boulevard, to perform drainage work. A flagger will be on site to direct traffic and allow motorists to pass through the area while this work is underway.
The contractor is driving piles adjacent to northbound I-5 and Valley View bridge. This work will be conducted weekdays during the daytime between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
*DISCLAIMER: Due to the dynamic nature of construction, please note that all dates and times are subject to change due to unforeseen operational factors or inclement weather.
For information regarding upcoming closures, detours and other construction activity, be sure to check out the project Google map
. This map will be updated in real time, with the latest information regarding project construction. Click the image below to view the map.